Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tornado Drill






Last Thursday I received a handy-dandy e-mail from my "3rd Floor Northeast Quadrant Safety Captain" spelling out the specifics of what to do and where to go in an emergency.


The Captain was nice enough to come find me, knowing I was from "Tornado Alley," to make sure I knew we’d be having a Tornado Drill in the not too distant future.


Well… today was the day!


And although she warned me we would be having a drill, she did not warn me it would be a FULL-FLEDGE LIVE PERFORMANCE type drill. :p


Its 10:00 AM, I’m typing away at my computer, do-ti-do… when all of the sudden I hear the Weather Radio on our Admin’s desk start squawking. I can’t completely understand what the guy is saying, but it’s something involving a Tornado, the Omaha and Council Bluffs area, and seeking shelter. So I turn to look outside… it doesn’t look bad… so I get up and walk over closer to our Admin’s desk to listen. She’s not there, nobody else seems to be around, but sure enough there's weather radio and it's talking about a tornado.


I turn to look outside again, it's sunny, there aren't any clouds??? Then the outdoor sirens start blaring!!! What???


I immediately start thinking where is this thing, where are my boys, where is Steve?


Then… finally… our security guy makes an announcement over the intercom telling us to go to our designated shelter area and I finally hear the word "drill."


Along comes my Safety Captain, encouraging me to make my way to the shelter area. Huh? I’m positive I had to have the funniest look on my face. I was seconds away from forced self-control emergency mode and here she was with her walky-talky and a smile.


You’ve got to be kidding me?!?!


Now that's a tornado drill!

No comments: